New banner at Crowborough Rugby Football Club
Here at Tester & Jones Funeral Services, we are proud of our commitment to the community here in Crowborough and its surrounding villages. This extends to supporting many of our local sports clubs, including Crowborough Rugby Football Club (CRFC) at Steel Cross – where our new banner has recently been erected next to the main pitch.
The Club can trace its roots back to 1936, when Geoffrey Cornford and Roland Hill had a letter published in the Kent and Sussex Courier, explaining that they intended to establish a club in the area. CRFC was formed and the first game, in March 1937, was against Cranbrook RFC.
The Club was originally in Beacon Road, with the landlord of the Blue Anchor providing clubhouse and changing facilities. During that time, CRFC even played against Wasps, the oldest club in the country.
In the years after the Second World War, CRFC joined with the ex-members of the old Tunbridge Wells RFC, who were without a ground of their own, to form a new club Crowborough & Tunbridge Wells Rugby Football Club. The new club played its first match on 24 September 1948 at its recently rented site at Steel Cross. Then, The Boar's Head Inn provided changing facilities.
In October 1954, CRFC purchased the freehold of its present ground at Steel Cross.